Monday, December 13, 2010

Faith Story part 2

On Sunday December 12, I gave my faith story at church. So here it is for you all to read!



I was born Dec. 21, 1982 and was later dedicated to the Lord at Keene Evangelical Free Church. During my early childhood we attended church somewhat regularly, we split time between Keene and the Presbyterian Church in Axtell. I went to Bible school every summer, usually at both of these churches and also attended Awana after school. I grew up knowing God and accepting Christ early on, I can't remember the exact date, but I remember being that kid that every time someone asked if you had accepted Christ, I prayed again for Him to be my Savior just to make sure I had done it.

My Dad's parents were also a big influence on my walk early on, they were what I call "quiet Christians", they brought no attention to themselves, but in everything they did you could see Christ's light shining through. Before breakfast everyday, my Grandpa would read from the "Daily Bread" and then read the scripture that was for that day. Then we would kneel down at our chairs and pray quietly. For a long time I didn't know what my grandparents were doing, I thought they were just mumbling something to God, so I would copy them and whisper quietly to myself. At the age of 9 my Mom and Dad divorced, this was a hard time for me but I realized after years of listening to my parents fight, it was a lot quieter and calmer at our home. Over the next 3 years my Mom worked two jobs and my sister and I spent quite a bit of time on our own. We were still able to go to Sunday school, Bible school and Awana, these things helped to build up my faith. When I was 12 my Mom remarried and we moved 40 miles to Overton. At this same time I would not attend church again until the age of 20.
At the age of 17 I had a full time job and took care of myself and pretty much did what I wanted, but always praying that God would keep me safe, even when I knew what I was doing was not the right thing. And even though I walked out on God, He didn't walk out on me. He knew that someday I would come back and recommit my life to Him. And He was right, at the age of 20 He brought Morgan into my life and soon after we started dating and began attending Westmark Church together. One day sitting there listening to Pastor Dave Carlson, I felt like his sermon was just for me and right then and there I decided that my life had to change and I was going to let God be an active part in it.
I am still learning and growing in Christ, but everyday He is holding my hand as I am learning to trust Him even more. And now after almost 6 years of marriage and two beautiful children, I can say that God has a far greater plan for my life than I ever knew. And I know that God will never leave me, no matter how far I wander from Him, He is waiting for me, for all of us to come back to Him because truly He is all we need!

No comments: