Friday, September 18, 2009

Being Prideful in the Choices We Make

I have been thinking about this for awhile now and finally decided to put my thoughts here. Have you ever noticed that mothers become very prideful about their decisions they have made for their children, for example only eating organic food, breastfeeding, to vaccinate or not, or staying home with their children. As I read blogs and discussion forums I have noticed that whatever a mother's choice is she is usually quite prideful in her decision and either seems to put others down that do not share in her views, or makes, at least me feel as though I am not making the right choices for my children. Why do we do this to each other? Why aren't we more supportive of each other as mothers? We all know its is the hardest job there is!
Thus far I am happy with the choices I have made for my two children, yet I never want to come off as the choices I have made are the only right choices out there, so here is what we have done with our children so far. Mind you, most of the choices I have made for my children are from flying by the seat of my pants, not always a lot of thought, usually what sounds good at the time or what will work for our family right now.
  • I nursed both my children until about 7 months of age, and then straight to formula.
  • We do not purposely eat organic, sometimes I just happen to buy organic food and we eat it.
  • Vaccinations are a must have, in my humble opinion.
  • I do stay at home with my children now and I love it, but you have to do what works for you and what you are able to do.
  • Homeschooling, private or public??? - right now my kids aren't ready for school, but all are up for debate, except maybe homeschooling because I am sure my kids would learn nothing since I am completely unorganized.

I just want us, all as mothers, to be supportive of others decisions. What is right for you and your family may not be right for another family and we can not and should not judge others decisions for themselves and their family.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Great post. I completely agree with you.

Vaccinations are a MUST. I don't understand why a parent wouldn't do this for their children's own safety.

I SAH but it's a financial struggle. I didn't get to stay at home with my older two children (10 & 8) but I am able to now with our 17 month old.

I am not a supporter of homeschooling either. My kids wouldn't learn much from me!

Anyway, thanks for this post. Moms need to do what works best for their families.

Kate

PS: I've never eaten organic! Does it taste different?