Thursday, December 17, 2009

Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays

For many years I have been so irritated by hearing about different companies supposedly telling their employees not to say "Merry Christmas" or that they should say "Happy Holidays", then all of a sudden this year it hit me, while we celebrate Christmas in our home, not everyone does. This time of year there are a few other holidays celebrated by other religions. There is Hanukkah (sp?) and Kwanzaa and probably others that I don't even know about. So while I used to think that people were trying to take away the Reason for the Season by not saying "Merry Christmas", I have realized that they are just trying to include everyone because we do not know everyones' religion. While, I will still be saying Merry Christmas to everyone I see I have a new found understanding for saying "Happy Holidays"!

This leads me to another thought, as I was watching The View the other day they were discussing that when sending out "Holiday" cards what saying do you put on them? Do you put Merry Christmas if you are a Christian or do you send out cards according the the religion of the person receiving the card??? My answer is that you send out a card based off of your beliefs, what do you think???

No comments: