Friday, April 17, 2009

Leaving Your Kids In the Car, Or Not?

I was just thinking as I woke up this morning, such a random thought in the morning, at what age can you start leaving your children in the car while you run into the post office, the grocery store for one item, etc. Now we live in a small town of less than 1000 people, so while you may think you can never leave your children in the car I have a few reasons while I would like to leave them in the car for less than 1 minute.

1. I sometimes feel like I am hurting my two year old a whole lot more by sometimes dragging her by the arm (exaggerating a little) into and out of the grocery store or the post office while carrying my son in his car seat. Both kids are in car seats and Brenna is usually watching Elmo on the DVD player, what would be so wrong in leaving them for a minute.

2. Like my Mom always told me if somebody took me they would bring me back quickly. Okay so that's not really funny because now days the people taking children are taking them for their own sick reason.

3. They might be a whole lot safer in the car than with me in the grocery store, hollering at them and getting frustrated.

All joking aside, I am not really sure what is appropriate. Sometimes I stop in front of the store and get a pop out of the pop machine. Am I supposed to get my children out of the car for this or not? Or I need to run something into someones house quickly? I would never consider leaving them in the car any place other than the small town I live in, but I suppose any crazy could be driving through and see that there are two little kids in the car alone by themselves and take them. Just had to let you here my random thought for the morning.

May God bless you in the same ways you have blessed me.

No comments: